Frequently asked questions
Medical treatment or hospitalisation
I need hospitalisation or need to receive medical treatment. What should I do?
We would like to help you quickly. Please read what to do in the case of hospitalisation or other medical treatment. Reporting healthcare costs.
What if I am in hospital on the expiry date?
If you are in hospital on the expiry date and are not allowed to return home, we will reimburse the costs of hospitalisation for up to a maximum of 30 days after the expiry date of your insurance, provided, of course, that these costs are covered by your insurance.
Am I insured for repatriation by charter air ambulance for skiing-related injuries (‘gipsvlucht’)?
No, you will not be reimbursed for repatriation by charter air ambulance for skiing-related injuries (‘gipsvlucht’) if you have an accident during a skiing holiday.
When do I have to pay the premium for the insurance?
For the OOM Schengen Visitor Insurance you must pay the whole premium in advance. It is not possible to pay in instalments.
Will I get the Dutch healthcare allowance if I take out OOM Schengen Visitor health insurance?
The Dutch healthcare allowance (zorgtoeslag) is a contribution to the costs of Dutch national health insurance. OOM Verzekeringen does not offer Dutch national health insurance. You will therefore not receive any Dutch healthcare allowance.
Alteration, extension or termination
What if I come to the Netherlands later, or don’t get a visa?
You may come to the Netherlands later than you had planned. In that case, you can change your OOM Schengen Visitor Insurance commencement date. To do this you must send us an email before the original commencement date. You cannot alter the commencement date if the insurance has already commenced.
If your visa request is rejected, you can terminate your OOM Schengen Visitor Insurance. We will then refund all premiums paid. Send us an email with a request to terminate your insurance. Include:
•A copy or scan of the rejection letter from the embassy or consulate
•The bank account number for refunding your premium
Can I extend my insurance?
No, you cannot extend your insurance. After the end of the insured period you may take out the same insurance again. Here too we will not reimburse any costs incurred for ailments or complaints you already had when you took out the insurance. You may therefore find that there is no cover for complaints or ailments in your new insurance where you were covered by your previous insurance.
Can I terminate my insurance earlier?
You may come to the Netherlands later than you had planned. In that case, you can change your OOM Schengen Visitor Insurance commencement date. To do this you must send us an email before the commencement date. You cannot alter the commencement date if the insurance has already started. If your visa request is rejected, you can terminate your OOM Schengen Visitor Insurance. From that date on we will then refund your premium. Send us an email with a request to terminate your insurance and include:
• a copy of the rejection letter from the embassy or consulate
• the bank account number where you would like to receive the refunded premium
Does this insurance meet the demands of the Schengen visa?
Yes, the OOM Schengen Visitor Insurance meets the demands of the Schengen visa. These demands are:
• Validity for the entire duration of the stay
• Cover for urgent medical care
• Cover for repatriation for medical reasons
• Minimum cover of €30,000
The OOM Schengen Visitor Insurance even has cover of €500,000 for the insured period.
I need the policy immediately. Is that possible?
If you pay by iDEAL, PayPal or MasterCard/VISA, you will receive your policy by email within an hour. You can take out insurance online immediately.
What is the difference with OOM Provisional Residence in the Netherlands Insurance?
OOM Schengen Visitor Insurance:
• Is for people staying in the Netherlands temporarily
• No medical acceptance applies to this insurance; you do not have to answer questions about your health beforehand
• You will not receive reimbursement for any costs incurred for ailments or complaints you already had when you took out the insurance
• You can take out insurance for a maximum of 6 months
• No age limit applies to the insured person in order to take out insurance
OOM Provisional Residence in the Netherlands Insurance:
• Is for people coming to live in the Netherlands and are waiting for a residence permit
• For health insurance you will have to be medically accepted; based on questions about your health, we will assess whether you can take out insurance
• You can take out insurance for a maximum of 12 months
• You can take out insurance if you are younger than 70 years old on the commencement date
• The insurance can only be taken out by a Dutch national