OOM Studying Abroad Insurance

Calculate your premium 

OOM Studying Abroad Insurance

Be properly insured for your adventures abroad

As a student, you want only one thing: to study abroad. Now that dream is going to come true. You want to make it an unforgettable time, but to make that happen, you need peace of mind. The OOM Studying Abroad Insurance means you will have the same cover as in the Netherlands. This leaves you to focus on your studies without any additional risk.

OOM Studying Abroad Insurance

These are the most important features of the OOM Studying Abroad Insurance:

  • Insurance for study, an internship or working as an au pair abroad
  • For people between 15 and 29 years of age
  • Choose your own insurance cover: healthcare, dentist and/or our Insurance Package
  • Flexible duration, from 1 day to 5 years
  • You are also insured for temporary visits to the Netherlands during your stay abroad

Who is the insurance suitable for?

OOM Studying Abroad Insurance is for young people who want to study, do an internship or work as an au pair abroad. Healthcare insurance is useful if you:

  • aren’t covered by Dutch national health insurance during your time abroad
  • visit a country where medical care is more expensive than in the Netherlands and therefore need higher coverage than basic Dutch national health insurance

If you have compulsory basic Dutch national health insurance, then we recommend you take out our insurance package. It includes cover if you need to return home, for instance if a family member is seriously ill.

OOM Studying Abroad Insurance is for young people aged between 15 and 29 years. If you don’t fall into this age category, go to OOM Temporary Residence Abroad Insurance.

View the insurance card.

What does the insurance cover?

With OOM Studying Abroad Insurance you can choose what you insure. SOS insurance is always included. This includes coverage for the costs of repatriation (return to your country of origin) or evacuation if treatment is not possible locally and cannot be postponed.

You can also take out the following types of insurance:

  • Choose either standard cover or extended cover
  • A maximum amount or a maximum number of treatments may apply
  • Choice of excess of € 0 or € 150
  • Dental costs following an accident up to € 500
  • Standard dental costs up to € 450 (up to age 17)

What is not covered by the insurance?

Not all medical expenses are covered by the healthcare cover. For example, you will not be reimbursed for:

  • pregnancy if you were already pregnant before you took out insurance, including in the case of miscarriage or other complications
  • preventative medicine, chiropractor or manual therapist

If you are going to stay in the United States, you must take out insurance for your stay there. You are then also insured in the rest of the world. If you are going to stay in another country, your medical expenses are covered worldwide, but not in the US. You can extend your coverage to the US by paying an extra premium. You can also do this for a shorter period if you visit the US temporarily during your stay abroad. You can change this via My OOM or you can contact us.

OOM Dental Cover is additional cover added to your healthcare insurance for standard dental costs up to € 350. No excess is charged for this extra cover.

A package with cover for:

  • household contents (up to € 5,000)
  • personal liability (up to € 1,250,000; no cover for damage to items such as those you are renting or leasing)
  • travel (excess of € 125 in the event of theft, loss or damage to luggage)
  • legal assistance (for claims over € 450)
  • accidents (payment on death € 10,000; on permanent disability up to €75,000)

What is not covered by the insurance?

The OOM Studying Abroad Insurance Package does not reimburse all costs. Bear in mind that:

  • household contents cover is only for your stated address
  • you will not receive legal assistance for events you were already aware of before you took out insurance

For most claims, we will reimburse the replacement price, but not in every case. Sometimes we only reimburse the current value. Please read how depreciation works (in Dutch).

How long is the insurance valid?

You can take out insurance for a period from 1 day up to a maximum of 5 years, providing you are no older than 29 years on the start date.

If your stay abroad is longer than you expected, you may extend the insurance once by a maximum of 2 months, providing you are not insured for more than 5 years. If you do not know how long you will need insurance, it is better to choose a longer period rather than one that may be too short.

What happens if you do not need the insurance anymore?

If you are returning to the Netherlands, you can cancel the insurance on a daily basis. You can do this via My OOM or by email. We will terminate your insurance immediately when we receive your request, or at a later time indicated by you.

If you have already paid your premium in advance, then we will refund it to you.

What is the premium?

The premium for healthcare insurance depends on the excess you choose and whether you have opted for standard or extended cover.

  €150 excess no excess
standard cover (from) €21.31 per month €24.50 per month
extended cover (from) €34.78 per month €40.00 per month

You will receive an attractive discount if you have compulsory Dutch national health insurance.

The premium for OOM Dental cover is € 15 per month. 

The insurance package premium (including insurance tax) is €14.57 per month if you also take out healthcare insurance. If you opt for the insurance package alone, the premium is €16.82 per month.

These are our terms and conditions

To find out exactly what is reimbursed, take a look at the terms and conditions or the coverage summary (pdf).

Take out OOM Studying Abroad Insurance

Are you about to leave? Or do you want to arrange your insurance well in advance? You can do either! Easily calculate your premium online. As soon as everything is correct, you can take out your insurance.

Good to know

Medical acceptance is required for the healthcare insurance. We will ask you to answer a few questions about your health and medical situation beforehand. Based on your answers, we will assess your application. We may decide to insure you only under modified terms and conditions. That’s no surprise because every student is unique.

If you need more information about the Studying Abroad Insurance, please feel free to contact us. Our team will be pleased to help you.

Do you have questions about this insurance?
Frequently asked questions 
What am I covered for?
What am I covered for? 
Illness, damage and claims
Declare costs