Healthcare insurance for foreigners
The health insurance for foreigners in the Netherlands
If you are coming to the Netherlands as a foreigner, you may need to take out Dutch national health insurance. This is mandatory health insurance if you live and work in the Netherlands. In some cases, you may not, or not yet be able to get this insurance. If you want to be properly insured, our healthcare insurance for foreigners in the Netherlands offers a good solution for you.
You may not be able to take out Dutch national health insurance if you:
- Come to the Netherlands on a Schengen visa
- Come to the Netherlands on an Authorisation for a Temporary Stay (Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf (MVV))
- Are waiting for a decision on your residence permit
- Are younger than 30 years of age and are only coming to live in the Netherlands temporarily for your studies
If any of these situations apply to you, we will gladly help you! Select one of the following healthcare insurance options that suits you best.
A foreigner in the Netherlands? Select your healthcare insurance
Which healthcare insurance suits you best depends on your adventure. These are our healthcare insurance options for foreigners in the Netherlands:
Dutch national health insurance: When is it mandatory?
Not everyone is required to have Dutch national health insurance. Check if it is mandatory in your situation:
- I’m going to study in the Netherlands
- I'm going to emigrate to the Netherlands
- I’m going on an internship in the Netherlands
- My parents are visiting from abroad
If your situation is not listed, or if you are in doubt as to whether you are obliged to take out the Dutch national health insurance, please contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB).
Whether you are required to take out Dutch national health insurance or not, you obviously want to be properly insured when you come to the Netherlands. Our healthcare insurance for foreigners is always a good idea.