Anyone coming to the Netherlands as a foreign student, intern or au pair, will of course want to be well insured for medical costs and other claims. This is possible with OOM Studying in the Netherlands Insurance.
These are the most important features of the OOM Studying in the Netherlands Insurance.
- Insurance for foreign students, interns and au pairs in the Netherlands
- Decide for yourself which insurance you choose: healthcare, dentist and/or package insurance
- Flexible term from one day to five years
- Insurance cover even if you leave the Netherlands temporarily
The OOM Studying in the Netherlands Insurance is the solution if you don’t have health insurance in your home country that provides cover in the Netherlands.
If you do have cover in the Netherlands, our insurance can be a useful supplement. For example, if medical care in the Netherlands is more expensive than in your home country. Or your health insurance is subject to additional prerequisites.
Dutch citizens have compulsory insurance for healthcare costs. As a foreign student you will probably not fall under the Dutch national health insurance, unless you have a job and pay tax and social security premiums in the Netherlands.
If you come to work as an au pair in the Netherlands, you may have to take out Dutch national health insurance. In that case, the package insurance of OOM Studying in the Netherlands Insurance may be for you. It includes cover for travel home if a family member is seriously ill.
OOM Studying in the Netherlands Insurance is designed for young people aged between 15 and 29 years, who come to the Netherlands as a foreign student, intern or an au pair. If you do not fall into this age category, go to the OOM Provisional Residence in the Netherlands Insurance.
You can choose what you would like to insure with OOM Studying in the Netherlands Insurance. The insurance always includes SOS insurance. This includes covering the costs of repatriation (return to your country of origin) or evacuation if treatment is not possible locally and cannot be postponed.
You can take out the following types of insurance:
- Choose either standard cover or extended cover
- Sometimes there is a maximum amount or a maximum number of treatments covered
- Choice of excess of €0 or €150
- Dental costs following an accident, up to €500
- Standard dental costs up to age 17, up to €450
OOM Dental cover (18 years and above)
OOM Dental cover is an extended cover of health insurance for standard dental costs up to €350. There is no excess for this extended cover.
Package with cover for:
- household contents (up to €5,000);
- liability (up to €1,250,000. There is no cover for damage to property that you rent or lease, for example.);
- travel (excess of €125 in the event of theft, loss or damage to luggage);
- legal assistance (for claims above €450);
- accidents (payment on death €10,000; on permanent disability up to €75,000).
To find out exactly what is reimbursed, take a look at the coverage summary (pdf).
Not all medical expenses are covered by the healthcare cover of OOM Studying in the Netherlands Insurance. For example, you will not be reimbursed for:
- an existing pregnancy from before the insurance was taken out, including miscarriage or other complications;
- preventative medicine, chiropractor or manual therapist.
The package insurance of OOM Studying in the Netherlands Insurance does not reimburse all the costs you may incur either. For example, please bear in mind that:
- household contents cover is only valid for the address you give us;
- legal assistance is not covered for events you were aware of before you took out insurance.
For all exclusions see the policy terms and conditions (pdf).
You can take out insurance from 1 day to a maximum of 5 years, as long as you are 29 years of age, or younger on the commencement date.
If your stay in the Netherlands is longer than you had first planned, you may extend the insurance once by a maximum of two months, providing you will not be insured for more than five years.
If you don’t know how long you will need insurance, it is better to choose a longer period rather than one that may be too short. You can terminate the insurance at any time by sending us an email. We will refund you if you have already paid the premium for the period after the termination date.
You can take out OOM Studying in the Netherlands Insurance online. Our health insurance is subject to medical acceptance. This means that you will first have to answer a few questions about your health and medical situation. We will assess your answers, to determine if we will take on this insurance. We may decide to insure you under modified terms and conditions.