Pregnancy, delivery and maternity care
The OOM Temporary Residence Abroad Insurance is a medical insurance for if you stay abroad for a longer period of time (up to a maximum of 2 years).
Do you have Light cover? In that case we will not reimburse any costs related to pregnancy, delivery or maternity care, even in the case of complications or unforseen emergencies.
Do you have Regular cover? In that case we will reimburse the costs for unexpected emergencies if - according to our medical advisor - critical medical intervention is necessary. There is no cover for maternity care.
Do you have Comfort cover? In that case the following applies:
- If the insurance was taken out less than 9 months ago, we will reimburse the costs for unexpected emergencies if - according to our medical advisor - critical medical intervention is necessary.
- If the insurance was taken out more than 9 months ago, we will reimburse to costs for:
- obstetric care by a midwife, General Practitioner or specialist
- medication d/or tests on prescription by a midwife, General Practitioner or specialist
- outpatients' department
- maternity care in a hospital or maternity centre if you have to stay in hospital as a medical necessity
- home maternity care up to a maximum of €1,500 divided over a maximum of 10 days. For a hospital delivery, the maximum amount is reduced by €150 for each day spent in hospital.
- Please inform the emergency centre of your preferred hospital for approval at the latest 10 weeks before you are due; if you decide to give birth in a hospital without the approval of the emergency centre, we will reimburse 75% of the costs of delivery.
Are there costs for you?
With the OOM Temporary Residence Abroad Insurance you can opt for no excess or an excess of €250, €500 or €1,000. If you have opted for an excess and you incur costs which are covered by the insurance, you then pay the first part of these costs yourself.
During your stay abroad you become pregnant after 10 months. You visit the midwife a number of times and you give birth in hospital with permission from the emergency centre. The costs are €3,500. You also receive maternity care for four days. The costs are €800. If you have Comfort cover and an excess of €500, you will receive a reimbursement of €3,800.
How to claim costs
You can claim your medical expenses quickly and easily via My OOM.
Please note that the terms and conditions of your insurance take precedence over the information provided here.