Pregnancy, delivery and maternity care
The OOM Living Abroad Insurance is a medical insurance for a longer or permanent stay abroad.
What does the insurance reimburse?
Whether you get reimbursement for a pregnancy and delivery depends on the cover you have chosen:
- Regular cover: the costs for unexpected emergencies will be reimbursed. (These are circumstances in which critical medical intervention is necessary according to our medical advisor)
- If you have Comfort/DeLuxe cover and the insurance was taken out less than 9 months ago, we will reimburse a maximum of €2,500/€6,000 for pregnancy, delivery and maternity care combined.
- If you have Comfort/DeLuxe cover and the insurance was taken out more than 9 months ago, we will reimburse to costs for unexpected emergencies and the following conventional treatments:
- obstetric care by a midwife, General Practitioner or specialist
- medication and/or tests on prescription by a midwife, General Practitioner or specialist
- outpatients' department
- admission to hospital or maternity centre
Please inform the emergency centre of your preferred hospital for approval at the latest 10 weeks before you are due.
If you decide to give birth in a hospital without the approval of the emergency centre, we will reimburse 75% of the costs of delivery.
Are there costs for you?
With the OOM Living Abroad Insurance you can opt for no excess or an excess of €250, €500 or €1,000. If you have opted for an excess and you incur costs which are covered by the insurance, you then pay the first part of these costs yourself.
During your stay abroad you become pregnant after 10 months. You visit the midwife a number of times and you give birth in hospital with permission from the emergency centre. The total costs are €1,850. If you have Comfort cover and an excess of €500, you will receive a reimbursement of €1,350.
How to claim costs
You can claim your medical expenses quickly and easily via My OOM.
The servicedesk is